quarta-feira, 16 de novembro de 2011

Easily Confused Words 3

Easily_confused_words_2

VOCABULARY

Here are a few pairs of words which are easily confused:

1. clothes / cloth
clothes = what people wear to cover their body
What kind of clothes do you feel most confident in ?
I love casual clothes like jeans and T-shirts.
cloth =  (a) material made by weaving for special purposes
a dish-cloth, a floor-cloth etc
    (b) the clerical profession as shown by the clothes worn
A certain respect is due to the cloth. ( = to the priests)

2. look at / watch
look at = set your eyes at a certain direction
Look at this picture! Isn't it beautiful?
watch = keep the eyes on something moving
Juanita watches TV in the afternoon
Did you watch the game last night?
We were watching the children play while chatting in the garden.

3. last / latest
last = coming at the end
When was the last time you saw him?
latest = most recent
Ann always follows the latest fashion trends.
Did you hear the latest news about the hijackers?

4. remember/remind
(a) remember to do something = not to forget to do sth
Did you remember to call John before leaving the office?
(b) remember doing something = not to forget having already done sth in the past
I remember meeting her at a party last summer.
remind of / about / to = cause someone to remember
Hearing that song always reminds me of a certain night in Santa Cruz. (=the song brings back the memories of that night)
NOT hearing that song remembers me of .....
Will you remind me about that important appointment?
Corinne reminds me of myself when I was her age.
BUT : I remember Corinne wearing a floral dress when I first met her.
He reminded me to call John before leaving the office (=he asked me to remember to do so)

Useful Expressions
remember me to someone = ask someone to give a greeting from you to someone else = say hi
Please remember me to your mothe

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário