domingo, 28 de agosto de 2011

Idioms for Kids

Hello, guys and gals!
Que tal um pouco mais de idioms?  Hoje postei umas expressões idiomáticas bem simples, especiais para kids. Mas você pode estudá-las também, e fazer o exercício de fixação que está no fim do post.

Idioms 

1. A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush
 
- Having something that is certain is much better than taking a risk for more, because chances are you might lose everything.



Example:


A: "Dan has asked me to go to a party with him. What if my boyfriend finds out? I don't know if I should go."
B: "Don't go. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

2. A Blessing In Disguise

 
- Something good that isn't recognized at first.



Example:


A: "The hotel is full tonight; we will need to find a new place to stay."
B: "Maybe it's just a blessing in disguise; I've been wanting to try a new place anyway."

3. A Chip On Your Shoulder

 
- Being upset for something that happened in the past.



Example:


"He lost his game this morning, and now he has a chip on his shoulder."

4. A Dime A Dozen

 
- Anything that is common and easy to get.



Example:


A: "Do you think I should buy this now and bring it with us?"
B: "Don't bother; those are a dime a dozen where we are going."

5. A Drop in the Bucket

 
- Something that is not important because it is very small.



Example:


A: "I'm sorry I scratched your car."
B: "Don't worry about it. It's just a drop in the bucket. That car has more scratches on it than I can count."

Exercise:

1. A: "I lost my job and was upset at first, but I found a better one and have been much happier since."
B: "Losing your job was just __________!"

2. A: "Look what I found!"
B: "That's nothing special; those are __________."

3. "I'd like to do something to change the world, but whatever I do seems like __________."

4. "Tom had a tough time growing up, so he's got a bit of __________."

5. A: "I've been offered $250 for my stereo. Should I take it, or wait for a better offer?"
B: "Take the $250. __________." 



Resposta no próximo post.


See you!
Teacher Jô

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário