Using a DVD player is a great way to help you improve your English. It is best if you have some knowledge of English. Make sure the DVD has the film or programme in English with your native language, both as the spoken word (dubbed) and with sub-titles. Always check on the back of the DVD.
I recommend my intermediate to advanced students to watch DVDs in the following way.
- Watch the DVD all the way through in English only (no sub-titles).
- Watch it again (scene by scene) in English with your language as sub-titles. Repeat scenes as necessary.
- Watch it again in (scene by scene) in English with English sub-titles. Repeat scenes as necessary.
- Watch it again in your language all the way through with English sub-titles.
- If you aren't sick to death of it yet watch it again in English all the way through with no sub-titles.
So, watch a movie, learn, and have a lot of fun!