domingo, 29 de julho de 2012


Relative Clauses

 

Defining Relative clauses ...


... are used to give information about a person, place or thing. The information is necessary - without this information we don't know what you are talking about!
I hate the man who is talking to Sarah.

Relative Pronouns (and related words)

For things we say which and for people we say who. For places, we say where and for possessions (e.g. my car, his brother) we say whose + noun.
I like the dress which your sister is wearing.
I like the man who your sister is talking to.
I like the shop where you bought that dress.
I like the woman whose brother I met.

Other Information

  1. Often, we say 'that' instead of which or who.
  2. I like the dress that your sister is wearing.
  3. You don't need to say 'who' or 'which' if there is a noun after it.
  4. That's the man who I love = That's the man I love.
    That's the man who loves me - 'who' is necessary here.
(The teacher likes students who buy her presents.)


From: The Tiny TEFL Teacher

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário